Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What's in a name?

Since meeting my student Dracula in Shanghai, I've been consistently surprised and usually amused by the English names Chinese and Korean students choose. These students, like any foreign language students, pick English names based on how they sound, what they mean and the translation or transliteration of their original name. However, my favorite names are the ones chosen by students who want to live more colorfully through their English names than their original names permit. I've compiled a list of several English names chosen by my and other American teachers' students. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Red
Paradox
Insomnia
Quicker
Lock Lee
Jummpy (yes, with two m's)
Theory
Runner
Bright
Wolf
Silence
Pluto
Skip
Hawke
Beonly
Sharper
Pizza
Alien
Dictionary
Wood
Rocky Cefinil
PP
Worm

No comments: