Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Xi'an city wall



My American aunt visited me last week in Beijing, for a whirl-wind, one-week taste of China tour. Though we spent the vast majority of her visit in Beijing, we flew out to Xi'an one day to see the clay soldiers my aunt has spent her artistic career admiring.

She cried out of happiness when she saw the soldiers, a reaction our Chinese guide Cici was definitely not prepared to handle. After the tears dried, she was vulnerable enough for me to talk her into riding a tandem bicycle with me on Xi'an's old city wall.

The city wall is entirely intact, preserved since the 2,500 years ago when it was built. Aside from the potholes (it is nearly 3,000 years old) it was smooth riding. The view includes the sometimes dilapidated interior city, the rapidly modernizing outer city and the spring peach blossoms of the gardens immediately surrounding the wall. Enjoy and if you'd like to see more of my pictures, go to my portfolio at www.AmericanFair.shutterfly.com.

No comments: