Friday, August 8, 2008

Don't let jet lag get you down


Though I arrived in Shanghai Saturday afternoon, sever jet lag didn't hit me until Monday morning. I woke at 3:30 a.m. Fortunately, I had read enough about Chinese culture to know that mornings are the most active time of day for many Chinese people. I'm currently staying in Zhabei, a southwestern neighborhood of Shanghai where people are more Earthy than the average Shanghainese. Because of this, morning time features many older people walking and younger people setting up their days' wares in the market or on Yanchang Lu. However, the bulk of Zhabei's morning crowd goes to Zhabei gong yuan, or Zhabei park. As my program director said when giving me a tour of the park Tuesday morning, Zhabei is at its carnival best first thing in the morning.









No comments: