Monday, August 18, 2008

Liu Xiang's 17 days of pressure

Blogs and media across China have reported on the immense pressure on Chinese athletes to perform. But of all the Chinese athletes, Liu Xiang faces the greatest pressure.

Xiang holds the current world record for the 110meter Men's hurdles and will race to retain that record in about 30 minutes.

My first introduction to the expectations placed on Liu Xiang was by one student in my high school class in Zhabei. I asked the group of students what Olympic sport they liked best. One student, Lily, literally jumped up from her seat, and with eyebrows raised yelled, "Oh! Liu Xiang!"

Watching the preliminary news coverage to Liu Xiang's race, I was struck by a newscaster who, when asked to introduce coverage of the men's rowing team, stuttered and stopped, saying she could only think of Liu Xiang's race.

"I can't imagine what's on his mind right now," Lijing Right, anchor for China Central Television International 9, said. "He bears the burden of a nation's expectations and I have to add a bit more pressure myself because I want him to win. You can't imagine how hard my heart is pounding."

Let's hope Liu's race ends well, or he have to flee the crowd of reporters in tears, like athlete air rifle athlete Du Li did after coming in fifth place. See links at the bottom of this page.

1 comment:

asdf said...

I happened to read your post a few minutes after Liu exited the track with a bum Achilles tendon. When I saw it myself, I just thought, "Damn, that's really a shame". Now that I have your insights into the anticipation behind Liu & his race, I am a bit stunned. I mean, that a hurdler can be a national icon in a country of a billion people is incredible itself. But the way that he was forced out was really unfortunate. As a retired hurdler myself, I am a little sad that I won't get to see the guy fly.

I have a blog, but even if I get to Europe & keep writing, it's not going to be nearly as exciting as yours Liz. I'll look forward to reading more about your experience!