Thursday, September 18, 2008

Collections of Conversations #1

I've taken notes on comments that sounded pithy, profound or insightful even though they were in common conversation. I've included names for comments taken from conversations with friends, acquaintances and other adults. I have not included names in cases where I took quotes from my class or my friends' classes. Here's a few: 

-"What is your opinion of Christ?" -Benjamin, the American name of a Shanghainese man who asked me this question within the first hour of our flight from Chicago to Shanghai.

-This comment was made during a conversation about Bjork's outspoken support for Tibet at a music concert in Shanghai during the National Holiday in October 2007, and the government's subsequent wariness to permit foreign musicians to perform in China.
"She came on stage and said, 'Tibet! Tibet! with her (fist pumping) in the air like that and now some people don't like her simply because of that. I think music is music. But I think there are so many people, maybe the government needs to be strict." -Viola, who chose her name because it was the name of a strong-willed, unmindful woman, and the name of Shakespeare's lover.

-"China and America are friends." -Sui, or the man on the bus to Cuandixia

-After being asked to describe the ideal place to live: "Do you mean anywhere in China? or anywhere outside of China?"

-"If she could change one thing about herself it would be the color of her skin."

-A comment made after I fielded the omnipresent question, who do you support in the U.S. election? "I must see you again, because you are one American who believes in change." -Prince, a Frenchman who's soul was born in Congo.

-"You'd be surprised how far a kiss can go." -Kiley, an Australian expat coaching my friend on how to utilize her foreign appeal.

-"So American women aren't like in 'Sex and the City'?"-Viola

1 comment:

Austin-92 said...

I was astonished when I first knew that Bjork support for Tibet,because she is from Iceland.And I believed that people from northern Europe is friendly to Chinese.Iceland is my favorite foreign country,so I felt bad when this happened