Saturday, September 20, 2008

'Halfpats, the new expats'


I recently had a talk with one of my few American friends who actually got a job in America after we graduated. It was only three weeks into the new job, a copy editing position at a decent big-city magazine, but already the honeymoon was over.

"It's going OK, I guess. I don't know, I have an appointment at the Peace Corps office tomorrow."

It's just that simple. If work doesn't work out, maybe it's not the job you need to change. Maybe it's the country.

At least that's what a growing number of recent American graduates think. There are more than 6 million American expats living abroad now and according to a recent Wall Street Journal article, the most entrepreneurial among them are young, unattached travelers willing to wander until the right career track finds them.

We're "halfpats," according to this article, or local for-hire expatriates that are younger, cheaper and more willing to take risks, thus the meandering that lead us so far from home. Not only am I surprised to find myself among this workforce, I had no idea I chose one of the best destinations for halfpat hiring. (My halfpat friends and I are pictured above. The smaller photo is another halfpat friend, Kelsey, embracing the Malaysian therapy of being lit on fire.)

The Beijing area and China have been boom territories for these marketable expats, according to the WSJ article. In lieu of the previous economic slowdown and now crisis, people see strength in China; 44 percent of Americans already think China is the world's leading economic power, according to a February Gallup poll.

We kids are marketable because we don't come with the costs of transportation, family relocation or housing. In most cases, halfpats have a cultural understanding and better language skills because they often come during college or right after, Richard Brubaker, blogger and manager of China Strategic Development Partners, said.

"Halfpats, with prior work experience of 3-4 years, and prior in-country experience of 3+ years, have already proven their ability, desire and commitment to operate in China," Brubaker wrote in an article for China Success Stories, a business Web site. Brubaker sees this "widely available talent pool" as a great resource for business management in China.

I've seen evidence of the "halfpat" phenomenon in my own microcosm of under experienced, over educated and thus unemployed friends. I know four History majors moving to Spain, one political science major already in Turkey, a marketing major maybe in Paris and myself, a wannabe journalist and English teacher in China. But in three weeks, I've gotten job offers over the phone, taken up tutoring and looked at opportunities hosting a radio show, writing bar reviews and acting. (Yes, acting. Foreigners with little or no acting experience in China are often sources for movie or TV show extras, when a role calls for that Western face. Read more here)

My friends are having trouble just getting apartments in the also slow economies of the European Union, let alone extra tutoring jobs to supplement a meager 700 Euro/month income.


It seems the gap year halfpats can actually make money, and forgo the calls home for cash typical for the last 20 years. That is, as long as you're in China.

2 comments:

Austin-92 said...

I have no idea things go like this.
You see,we students always stay in campus and don't know what's happening around the world.Reading your blog can open my eyes.
I wish thingd will be better.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Austin. The economic crisis is having wide-reaching effects that have indeed trickled down to even some of my close friends. Though it's bad news, I'm glad to hear you're learning new news from these posts. I'll try to post more on the trend issues stemming from the American economic problems.