Thursday, October 30, 2008

New Yorker blogger agrees with Chinese: a walk a day keeps the canary doc away


I've written before here about the habit Chinese men of taking your canaries to the park. Every morning in Zhabei Park, Shanghai, I'd watch more than 30 men sit and smoke cigarettes while their caged canaries enjoyed the fresh air, hanging in cages in the trees. It seems New Yorker cartoonist and writer Donna Barstow likes to do the same.

In a recent post on her blog Why I did it, Barstow mentioned an American Fair post I wrote on Chinese men taking their canaries to the park. Canaries need more Vitamin D (created in the body when exposed to natural sunlight) than many other common birds, like parakeets. Barstow wrote this is the primary reason she takes her canary on outings. Though I think the men in Zhabei Park enjoy these social morning outings just as much if not more than their canaries enjoy the sunlight, I appreciate the mention on Barstow's blog.

No comments: